The internet is flush with build-your-own-website companies. Are they any good? While we at South Metro Web Designs would prefer that you use us, the DIY website companies do have their place.
If you’re not familiar with them, the DIY companies offer a way to get online without having to work with a web design company. Their interfaces are fairly simple, but design options are limited to their few templates.
And while they usually offer free plans, the truth is, as with most anything, you get what you pay for. The better plans can cost way more in the long run than using a web design company.
This isn’t a review article, so if you’re interested in using one of these services, do your research before you waste your time with the wrong one.
Here are some of my pros & cons to doing it yourself:
- Cheap to start.
- Can get a site up and running fairly quick.
- You can work at your own pace.
- With their templates you can make an OK looking site (even though it can look like everybody else’s).
- Depending on your technical skill, the learning curve might be steep.
- Free plans are limited, better plans can be costly.
- SEO implementation is not very good.
- Lower end plans have unprofessional addresses, you can’t use your own domain.
- No professional email on the cheaper plans, you’re stuck with “@gmail”, or “@yahoo”, etc.
- Design options are limited.
- If you change your mind and want to use a professional web designer, it may be possible to move some of your content over to the new site, but usually not much.
- And the #1 con is, with a DIY service, you have to do it yourself.
Like I said, the DIY services have their place, and some businesses have had some success with them (probably paying out the ying-yang , so think carefully before you sign up. Look at all the options out there, including using a web design company (hint hint). I have talked to many people who regret getting in a hurry and not doing their research.
If you have any questions on DIY website companies, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call me at 770-692-0075 Our website is southmetroweb.com